POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : nebula (72k jpeg) : Re: nebula (72k jpeg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nebula (72k jpeg)
From: alphaQuad
Date: 19 Jun 2008 13:00:01
Message: <web.485a8f9e9ed14b541e1c79870@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> "stbenge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> >
> > Nebulae are one of the most visually striking celestial bodies out there.
> > Just imagine living on a planet close to one! Of course, you'd probably be
> > bombarded with intense radiation. Extrasolar organisms (if they exist)
> > living under those conditions probably have a high tolerance to excessive
> > radiation, though.
> >

> One thing I wonder at: Most photographs of nebulae we are shown by NASA, are
> in false colour? So, what is the real aspect? I suppose just a cloud of
> fairly monochromatic light?
>
> Thomas

Not much to see in the visible spectrum

Detail in the visible wavelength is not as good as others so they take pictures
in the other wavelengths. The new detail gets a color, which could only be
"false" by default.

Your EMS:
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/know_l1/emspectrum.html
http://www.lbl.gov/MicroWorlds/ALSTool/EMSpec/EMSpec2.html