POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More again from the mesh relief macros : Re: More again from the mesh relief macros Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More again from the mesh relief macros
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 10 Jun 2008 08:35:00
Message: <web.484e748d7b589d73731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Not to blow my own trumpet too blatantly, but I think this looks much better!
Although that's partly because you've also got the lichen texturing just right
- it looks really realistic. How do the render times compare?

"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> took some experimenting until the shape came out right,

I find this to be the case also.

> Another difficulty is the base of the column which consists of a flat CSG of
> torus and cylinder. I have not (yet) been able to approximate that correctly
> with the macro.

Don't forget, you can relocate the object to be eroded before calling the macro.
If you move it upwards slightly it may improve things (the underside won't look
nice, but obviously that's not visible!). Another thing to try is the inner
shape - a wide rounded cylinder could well work better than the default
squashed sphere.

Looking good!

Bill