POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Iterative Imaging and IFS : Iterative Imaging and IFS Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Iterative Imaging and IFS
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 10 Jun 2008 00:40:01
Message: <web.484e0572677a57ed64794640@news.povray.org>
Last February, Sam Benge introduced a very cool technique and some great images,
created by iterative mapping of images onto discs:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C47bf6f44%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=275374&toff=100

He also provided the code:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C47bfbb8e%40news.povray.org%3E/

This technique can also be used to produce "normal" (Iterated Function System)
fractals, using the condensation set method (repeated shrinking, moving and
pasting), as opposed to the more familiar "chaos-game" bouncing dot method.

Just to make sure I was understanding what was going on, I rendered the same
fractal using Povray and Iterative Imaging (the first picture), and then using
the chaos-game approach, with Apophysis ( http://www.apophysis.org ).

Because the condensation set method involves repeated shrinking, round-off
errors quickly accumulate, unless you render the image very large.  I made this
one 3200 x 3200.  I've included a close-up of the actual size, also.

Since rendering this, I thought of a way to eliminate the "cut-off" where the
fractal goes off the edge of the box.  I now use planes, and just shrink and
map the pigments on the planes.  Also, when the fractal overlaps itself, you
need to choose which plane goes on top -- this leads to slightly different
images, even though the actual attractors are the same.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spiral7_99.jpg' (127 KB)

Preview of image 'spiral7_99.jpg'