POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media discrepancy (artifact?) : Re: Media discrepancy (artifact?) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:31:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media discrepancy (artifact?)
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Jun 2008 10:50:01
Message: <web.4846ab439a2aa19278dcad930@news.povray.org>
"Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] alcatelaleniaspacefr> wrote:
> Thanks a lot Kenneth for your analysis. I guess you spent quite a lot of time!

Sometimes, when I come across an interesting POV problem, I 'm like a dog
chewing on a bone:  I can't let it go!  :-) When I'm experimenting, I like to
throw some really ridiculous things at POV-Ray--just to see what might happen!
More times than not, it leads me to a better understanding of how POV works.

> Your work-around is a good
> idea. However, and AFAIK, extinction is not the same as density, but it might
> compensate.

You're right, of course. In coming up with this goofy work-around, I was tying
to figure out--in my own mind-- *some* kind of logical reason as to why it
seemed to work; but my explanation is probably not accurate at all.

BTW, I'm curious as to what function{1) or function{0} actually do. I've never
used a function of a constant before. Can you explain?

Ken W.