POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : 3D game of life : Re: 3D game of life Server Time
17 Jun 2024 00:36:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D game of life
From: milco2006
Date: 2 May 2008 07:50:00
Message: <web.481aff0b8587bdb04b71cf790@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the feed back. I can definitely implement the colour by age idea, in
fact I have already written the code for a 2D version of the game.

With regards to trying to trying to get cells to fade in I am a little less sure
of how to implement this in a way that doesn't involve creating great reims of
code. You will notice if you look closely that in the blob version the cells
are initially small and then grow to full size if they live to their second
generation of life, however I wasn't terribly pleased with this effect so a
more subtle fading would be nice. Any suggestions how to animate this?

I will post the code some time soon so that other people can have fun playing
with it however I have one or two little tweaks to make first. Out of interest
what do you think of the current rules? The animation I posted was done with
'birth' when surrounded by 6 cells and 'death' if less than three cells or more
than 6 cells surrounded a given cell. This arrangment seemed to produce stable
growth and death in my test situations but I am sure there are othe
possibilities.

Malcolm