POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Challenging radiosity : Re: Challenging radiosity Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Challenging radiosity
From: triple r
Date: 23 Apr 2008 00:35:00
Message: <web.480ebc4cfe9c4eeaae42298f0@news.povray.org>
"fls13" <fls### [at] netzeronet> wrote:

> You might want to consider, if you haven't done it, adding some ambient value to
> the drapes and the rooms materials. I've had some success in eliminating those
> artifacts without having to ramp up the radiosity quality levels to extremes.

Indeed there is about 0.1 or 0.15 for ambient on the blinds, if I recall.  Adds
some 'translucency' too.  Seems to be one of those scenes where low quality
radiosity is worth the tradeoff of fewer artifacts.  Actually the best luck I
had was with the pseudo-path-tracing method (change reflection to randomly
diffuse reflection).  Worked great with just a few minutes for setup, although
it sure took a while--and no textures, of course.  Thanks for the suggestion.

 - Ricky