POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Weathered objects macros : Weathered objects macros Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Weathered objects macros
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 17 Apr 2008 08:10:01
Message: <web.48073d3099729eac731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Phew, took a bit longer than I thought, but the include file is ready for the
discerning public. :)

As described previously, these macros are for making mesh2 versions of simple
shapes like bricks, spheres and so on, and applying surface displacement such
as weathering. The weathering function takes the form of a pre-#declared
pigment, and the resulting mesh2 can be used directly or saved to a .inc file
for later use (and much quicker parsing).

I wrote these mainly for building structures from small, real-looking bricks and
blocks, where high-res meshes are not vital, and render many times faster than
the equivalent isosurfaces. There may be artifacts when these objects are
viewed up close, and meshes of acceptable closeup quality may occupy a good
deal of memory (from my tests, a 150-200 res mesh will yield a ~10MB .inc
file). However, I have tried to make them as flexible as possible, so please
punish them and let me know if they break!

The include file can be obtained here:

http://www.infradead.org/~wmp/resources/meshrelief.inc

and has more detailed instructions / descriptions as comments. I will also
upload it to the objects collection soon. Just to show it off a little, below
is a demo pic.

Hope this is useful to some of you out there!
Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'weathered_demo.jpg' (149 KB)