POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Unintended consequence of "fixing" a physics timestep : Re: The Unintended consequence of "fixing" a physics timestep Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Unintended consequence of "fixing" a physics timestep
From: Chambers
Date: 14 Apr 2008 16:40:01
Message: <web.4803c00c47a4b4f1261d9700@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Isn't that more of a positive* feedback loop, where a perturbation reinforces
> itself?

Possibly; in the contexts I've seen it used, a negative effect reinforcing
itself has been referred to as a negative feedback loop.  However, calling it a
positive feedback loop is, unintuitively enough, logical.

> I didn't figure out the problem until the next paragraph until I figured out
> we're talking real-time.  Have you thought about adaptive timestepping to
> alleviate the problem of selecting an appropriate timestep?

The funny thing is, using a fixed timestep is supposed to "fix" the problem of a
dynamic timestep :)  The whole thing about a dynamic timestep is that the
results of your simulation depend on your framerate; using a fixed timestep
like this means that you'll get smooth results, no matter the ts value.

....Chambers