POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Real Clouds with Real Problems : Re: Real Clouds with Real Problems Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:15:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real Clouds with Real Problems
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 9 Apr 2008 12:20:01
Message: <web.47fcec4891cbe459e8ba46670@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] tektonartcom> wrote:
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> > That is a learned and intelligible piece of information, Kenneth. Thank you
> > indeed.
> >
> > I have been experimenting with atmosphere and media clouds, but not to the
> > extend of you or Abe, Roman or Kirk, and mostly following the directives of
> > others, so my understanding is limited. Could you tell me if all this is
> > also related to media boxes placed one behind the other (without surrounding
> > atmosphere) which makes them visible (problem mentioned by Gilles Tran on
> > his website)?
> >
> > Thomas
>
> I remembered that Bruno had done a lot of atmosphere experimentation some months
> ago--did he ever post any code about his methods?  If not, would he be willing
> to do so now and enlighten us all?  :)

Hi there!

Thanks Kirk for remembering me though I was away from you for a while!

As you said, I was studying atmosphere and clouds for the project I have in
mind: TerraPOV. I was honored to be encouraged by Jaime himself! The reason why
of this absence is that I was (pre)occupied about personal concerns (among
others: procedural, long and difficult divorce, hasta la vista ...), but still
on the subject.

I also assembled a config based on Q6600 Quad and installed Water Cooling last
week. I got 3.6 GHz overclock stable for POV (not 100% stable with CPUStress,
but it is very violent). Media takes ages to render if you want accurate
results.

I recently came back here to see what's going on, because I am about to write a
series of posts about the results of my study and the techniques for atmosphere
and clouds I intend to use in TerraPOV.

I will soon start with Chapter 1: Atmosphere (following physical reality as much
it is possible and reasonably feasible with POV).

Here is a recent result without radiosity but not one of the last (I am at work
while writing these lines and the last renders are at home)

See you very soon!

    Regards

        Bruno

Post a reply to this message