POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Self explanatory : Re: Self explanatory Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Self explanatory
From: alphaQuad
Date: 9 Apr 2008 07:35:01
Message: <web.47fca845115632e3ac60c46d0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> While I am deeply impressed by your planetarium work, it goes way beyond my
> capabilities, the one thing that hurts my eyes is the Milky Way map.
> Supposing that it is not necessary to reproduce it faithfully, wouldn't an
> emitive media give much nicer results? I suppose this would be contained
> inside a (flat) torus. Just my 2 cents...
>
> Thomas

I've seen "2 cents" that was worth millions.

If you dont go atmo or fancy stars, the render time is about 1.5 minutes.
Short render time probably important for a planetarium.

Turn on media and rendering hits a brick wall of time.

The milkyWay map would have to be around 8192 pixels before graniness would get
better. 4 times what it is.

But some really knowledged person migh have methods and ways, I dont know.
If anyone wants to work on it, suggestion; request latest work. Any previous
work posted was just data core.

Beyond capabilities? No way. After comprehending what a cross product was, I was
3/4 the way there in doing something like this. Knowing your way around a
triangle in the dark is helpful (triangulation.inc). Then you need like 4 or 5
functions which I posted. By the third try, your comprehension should rocket.
Just my 2 cents...