POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Challenging radiosity : Re: Challenging radiosity Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:28:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Challenging radiosity
From: Kirk Andrews
Date: 4 Apr 2008 07:50:00
Message: <web.47f622defe9c4eeaa5d4a01d0@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <rre### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I have to confess I cheated.  This is a combination of two renders.  The low
> quality render has fewer artifacts on the blinds because it just smoothes them
> over, but lots of artifacts around the ceiling.  The higher quality render cuts
> down on artifacts around the ceiling, but causes a lot of artifacts on the
> blinds.  I went all the way up to count=1600 without any improvement.  Wherever
> there's a gap there are a lot of artifacts.  Does this mean I have not balanced
> count and error_bound correctly, or does anyone have other ideas on how I might
> improve or fake the rendering quality?  Either way, my tip for the day?  Stay
> away from blinds.
>
>  - Ricky

Have tried placing an additional area light right in the doorway itself?  The
second area light would be much dimmer of course, and would span the entire
size of the doorway.

Very nice image, by the way.  Despite the artifacts on the blinds, I would not
have known it was a render if were posted elsewhere.  They just look textured
or dirty.  Adds to the realism, even.  :)