POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Weathered objects : Re: Weathered objects Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:27:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weathered objects
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 3 Apr 2008 10:25:01
Message: <web.47f4f59a884bb0eb731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> Yes! This is certainly an interesting development. I suppose this is random
> weathering. Would it be possible to increase the weathering of particular
> places of the object, like edges or corners, more than the flat or rounded
> faces? Or to make oriented weathering like small vertical incisions down
> from the top? Fractures also would be nice of course :-)

At the moment it is pigment-function weathering, so if you can represent it as a
texture pattern it will work! You are limited only by patience and memory for
high-res meshes.

Vertical incisions could be done as a stretched pigment, and fractures as
crackle. I'll try it out tonight and see if it works. Preferential weathering
at corners and edges is of course more realistic, but I'm not sure how it could
be done. A translated turbulent wood could work on one edge, but not many...
hmm, I shall ponder.

Bill