POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 : Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:14:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1
From: fidos
Date: 25 Mar 2008 14:50:00
Message: <web.47e95748dcec6a9fed9400730@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOTTHISsaunalahtifiinvalid> wrote:
> I love both images: all the shadows look (well, obviously...) very
> natural. Like the one near the standing lamp. Indirect lighting looks
> good in all respects. I just wonder if sun is too big in the environment
> map? The shadows look a bit too soft considering they are made by sun.

In fact, it is not real hdri. The sun surface is simulated with a layer that
isolate the brighter parts of the env map. This area is attributed a higher
ambient light value. The extend of the area is controlled by a parameter.

The problem is that if I reduce the size of the sun area, the rendering time
increase (less ray reach the sun). The solution would be to preprocess the env
map : by sampling, I can isolate the brighter areas and add portals on them.

Thanks for your positive feedback.

Regards,
Fidos