POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : any ideas what these black patches are.. : Re: any ideas what these black patches are.. Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any ideas what these black patches are..
From: Kenneth
Date: 18 Mar 2008 17:45:01
Message: <web.47e04444d387c88678dcad930@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> Wow! thanks for all the replies.
>
> No media in the scene to be causing any issues...

A beautiful scene, and very complex (which makes it difficult to nail down the
problem, I'm sure.)

In looking at your scene code, I see that there are lots of spotlights that
actually DO make use of media in some way. In the current version of POV-Ray,
there are *multiple* problems associated when using media, radiosity and
spotlights, which can cause really strange visual aberrations to appear in
places you wouldn't expect. So far, I've only posted info about one such
problem (not using radiosity). But there are others.

Here's the link...
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.45125ba9d84b4b77cc29cf380@news.povray.org%3E/

and the link to the associated image...
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.45125e6ed84b4b77cc29cf380%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=267426
&toff=900

Another problem is that radiosity illumination from media does not show up on
any objects (or parts of objects) that are inside a media-filled spotlight
cone. Said another way, the media IN the cone doesn't generate radiosity
illumination on objects that are embedded in it. I think that's a problem with
the spotlight itself.

My suggestion would be to run your complete scene--radiosity and all-- with
UseTestTex=1 rather than 0 (which will turn off your media) and see if the
black spots still appear. A long and laborious testing process, to be sure!

Ken W.