POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some Welsh Lovespoons : Re: Some Welsh Lovespoons Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some Welsh Lovespoons
From: Janet
Date: 14 Mar 2008 22:45:01
Message: <web.47db458eb5d0bff9aa0bd4990@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>     Hey cool! Damn, you're good at what you do. It seems like you set out to
> create *that* image, and aren't satisfied until you get the results you
> want. That's a good move in my book, it's what I want to try. Anyway, I've
> bookmarked your site now, as I didn't the first time I viewed it. And yes, I
> agree with Thomas too!  ;)

Thanks Steve, you are too kind. I "set out" but then I usually just settle
before I am really satisfied (a bad habit). I just tend to get tired of
something and want to start something new.

>      Well, first off, that gem was originally a free round facetted .DXF
> model (I think), which I converted to .OBJ somewhere along the line....
> (shrug, it's a blur now as I've had the model for well over five years), and
> then I just ovalled it in Wings.

Have you seen this site?
http://www.crystalgrowing.com/crystal-lab/crystal-lab.htm You can make all
sorts of different crystals and some have POV-Ray output. Not so useful, I
suppose, if you need to design with real gem cuts, but lots of fun anyway.

>      Now, textures and colours is my downfall when rendering, so, those
> stones that are supposed to be amethysts are in fact nothing like
> amethysts - too much sparkle in them unless they are AAA-AAA-AAA Quality,
> (of which, would never happen). I wish those stones were real, they would be
> nice. The nearest gemstone to the one I've produced would probably be
> 'Ametrine' where a nice purple fades into a citrine colour, (but even then,
> my image isn't close):
> http://www.agta.org/services/images/photos/ametrine001.jpg

Well, I liked the textures you used - lots of clolours. :)
Ametrine is gorgrous!

>   But, my latest designs show a much better coloured amethyst in the
> attachment, (second after the citrine from left to right, dang, I just know
> you know that).

Those are nice. I like the Celtic design in the middle one.

Janet