POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : any ideas what these black patches are.. : Re: any ideas what these black patches are.. Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any ideas what these black patches are..
From: s day
Date: 14 Mar 2008 18:20:01
Message: <web.47db079dd387c8866ba4aa160@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sven [] jamaica-focus [] com> wrote:
> Hmmm.... All this guessing...
>
> S. Day, my suggestion is, that you publish the entire scene code and related
> graphics and INI files. This would allow us, to have some persons working on
> your scene to find out where the problem is.
>
> Once we can try and try again, you should get soon an exact answer. I hope,
> this suggestion is okay for you. Once the black holes are fixed, your scene
> will become a beautiful scene.

Hi,

The scene code is on the povcomp site for all to use:

http://www.povcomp.com/entries/199.php

Just paste the radiosity settings from the first post into the file. The strange
thing is the only settings I changed from the previous render (which worked fine
at lower resolutions) were

error_bound from 0.1 to 0.08
recursion_limit from 2 to 5
count from 200 to 500
brightness from 0.9 to 0.8

Of these I guess error_bound is the most likely to cause the problem but I am
still not sure if it coulde be related to the resolution.. I should have an
idea by Monday morning.

Anyway, anyone who wants to try rendering this is OK with me (I hope you have a
spare PC and plenty of time though... but then if you are used to POV patience
is something of a necessity ;-)

Sean