POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : any ideas what these black patches are.. : Re: any ideas what these black patches are.. Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any ideas what these black patches are..
From: s day
Date: 14 Mar 2008 18:10:00
Message: <web.47db059fd387c8866ba4aa160@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] nospamgmailcom> wrote:
> Care to post your radiosity step 2 (after gathering) setting?  I
> personally never get quite the results I want if I render both steps at
> different resolutions and my step 2 settings work best like these:
>
>    load_file "tmp.rad"
>    minimum_reuse 0
>    count 1
>    error_bound EB+.1
>    low_error_factor 1
>    recursion_limit 1
>    pretrace_start 1
>    pretrace_end 1
>    nearest_count 1
>
> EB is error_bound from step 1.  It goes slightly smoother like this.

Hi,

I have had similar issues to you but find rendering at 50% of the final
width/height to usually be acceptable (although comparissons may show that
rendering with 50% the radiosity quality at the correct resolution will be just
as good..).

I do not normally specify much for the second pass just set:

pretrace_start 1
pretrace_end 1
error_bound = same as step 1 (although I might try your technique in future).
recursion_limit = same as step 1
always_sample off

I do not really understand the radiosity settings very well I have a rough idea
of how most of them work but tend to resort to trial and error more than
educated guessing..

Sean