POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : any ideas what these black patches are.. : Re: any ideas what these black patches are.. Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:09:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any ideas what these black patches are..
From: Russell Towle
Date: 13 Mar 2008 11:05:01
Message: <web.47d95085d387c886b8d0aa5b0@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I have access to a machine with 8GB memory and 8 cores and not enough time to
> create any new POV images for over a year now :-( I have been trying to
> re-render one of my old images at very high res.. I have been trying to
> generate radiosity stats (save them to a file) at 2625x1750 but the image
> contains black patches shown below.

I rarely use radiosity, and my first guess is that the blotches must relate to
your radiosity settings.

However, I have encountered black blotches in a scene in which I used a mask,
let me see, I used an image_map in which a photograph of a butterfly had been
modified so that the butterfly alone remained, and all else became a black
background. I set the black to be transparent in POV-Ray, so that all one would
see was the butterfly itself. Then three copies were placed near each other, and
moved along a spline curve in an animation.

Sometimes, then, one of the three butterflies would have a black blotch, shaped
like the rectangle bounding the image_map.

The fix was to change max_trace_level from 3 to 8.

Also, may I say that, if there are not multiple reflecting objects in a scene,
one can set max_trace_level to 100 or whatever without any speed penalty. So it
should be easy to test if max_trace_level is the culprit.

But your blotch problem looks like it's got to be radiosity to me.