POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:27:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: sooperFoX
Date: 4 Mar 2008 06:00:01
Message: <web.47cd2b466d8b2453943b35b60@news.povray.org>
Hi Severi,

Your renderer is truly great! How long did you let it run on that image, and how
many passes/iterations did it do in that time?

I have lately been playing around with Blender and rendering with Kerkythea
2008, which supports several brute force rendering methods: Path tracing,
bi-directional path tracing (BiPT) and Metropolis Light Transport (MLT) (two
methods built on top of each of the two path-tracing methods).

I didn't have your scene data so I just improvised by eye.. attached is a render
using MLT on PT, that I let run for 1h 20m, in which time it did about 65
iterations. It isn't an exact match, obviously, since I got the spacing a bit
wrong, but I can see that our renderers agree on all the right light in all the
right places!

(btw I was using 2 threads on a Core2 Duo 2.5GHz (2 cores), running WinAmp and
browsing news.povray.org at the same time ;)

Also in the future if you would like me to run any other comparisons I would be
happy to oblige. It would be nice if I could use the same geometry as you -
sphere coordinates and radii, etc. How do you define your scenes?

Cheers
sooperFoX

Severi Salminen wrote:
> Here is a new render. Now with boxes and properly working total internal
> reflection (you can see the windows through green glass, for example).
> Everything looks pretty good to me: shadows, highlights, caustics etc.
> The "windows" are actually only light emitting boxes. I also stopped
> using the infamous C rand() and implemented Mersenne Twister RNG. It is
> a lot faster (some 20-30% faster rendering) - and there is even faster
> variation available.
>
> Next:
>
> 1. Wait till "the Bible" arrives in mail. "Physically based rendering",
> by Matt Pharr and Greg Humphreys.
> 2. Implement basic transformations.
> 3. Improve box intersections stuff.
> 4. Some kind of bounding box hierarchy acceleration system is needed.
> 5.- 1000004. Million other things.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'kuva11_mlt_pt_1h_20m.jpg' (116 KB)

Preview of image 'kuva11_mlt_pt_1h_20m.jpg'
kuva11_mlt_pt_1h_20m.jpg