POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : .df3 with many intervals: out of memory error : .df3 with many intervals: out of memory error Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  .df3 with many intervals: out of memory error
From: Frank
Date: 23 Feb 2008 00:20:01
Message: <web.47bfac90ac28e73826eb43d10@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to render a medical data set in a movie. I am using the MRI code at
http://ozviz.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling_rendering/df3/ as a starting
point. However, my .df3 file is slightly larger (250 by 250 by 350
1-byte-values). I'm rendering on a 16 GB quad-core workstation with the beta
3.7.0.beta.25, because I need to make use of the multicore architecture.

The beta gives me an "out-of-memory", while 3.6 works without problems.
Strangely enough, in the strace, I cannot find a failing mmap. The reason for
the failure seems to be a large intervals count: lowering it to 30 from 100
solves my problem. Here's the code cooked down just to show the problem:

camera {
   location 0
   look_at z }
#declare theinterior = interior {