POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Focal blur tricks : Re: Focal blur tricks Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal blur tricks
From: triple r
Date: 22 Feb 2008 23:40:00
Message: <web.47bfa2bb806ad5e4ae42298f0@news.povray.org>

> Could you post the complete source for your image on the original post?
> With the colored spheres.

No problem.  See p.t.sf.

Or if you're feeling adventurous:

I've never gone beyond opening up the source code and deciding it's pretty
complicated, but it took about ten minutes to patch this into POV-Ray, at least
for circular apertures.  At ~line 650 in render.cpp, all you have to do is
select new random points until (x*x+y*y)<1.0.  Custom bokeh could be easily
loaded from an image and sampled randomly.  There's some details I may have
neglected about 37 samples on a hex grid or something, but it seems like
someone who knows what they're doing could patch a circular_aperture keyword
into the syntax in a matter of minutes.  Much like circular for area_lights.
I'll post an image in a little bit showing the utility of such a command.  Very
nice effect, although slow to render.  Perhaps adaptive sampling, something like
AA, could be used to locate the bright spots and send more samples there.
You'll notice in these images that the bokeh are just below a comfortable noise
threshold, but the rest of the scene is extremely oversampled.  That fix might
not be so easy, but if it could be accomplished, would make the focal_blur much
more powerful.

 - Ricky