POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Focal blur tricks : Re: Focal blur tricks Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal blur tricks
From: triple r
Date: 22 Feb 2008 20:10:01
Message: <web.47bf71df806ad5e4ae42298f0@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> still, looks damn good to me!  I love the stylish look of focal blur and the
> bokeh in the highlights only makes it more amazing.  It's incredible how the
> old dog can still learn new tricks using nothing but the builtin scripting
> language...

Problem is: if, for example, the first twenty rays make it through the aperture
and hit a spot approximately in the focal plane, the variance plummets and it
moves on prematurely to the next pixel.  Here are the approximate focal blur
settings.  Now please tell me what I should have done to reduce the render time
by about two orders of magnitude...

blur_samples 3000
confidence 0.99999
variance 1/10000000000

Ouch.  Rendering now with 6000 samples and a couple more repeated digits on the
end...  I'd don't want to set them to one and zero since that would prevent any
bailout, but I kept adding zeros and the artifacts kept getting better, but not
going away.

> > Can you guess how it's done?
> yes, you posted the URL for the original 2005 post in another thread.  Post it
> again. :)

> I think POV-Ray has been getting back some of its shine back:

And it looks like someone did receive and post the SSS code from Sarah Tariq,
but I don't know what would need to be done to make use of that.  I've never
actually delved into the POV source code, but maybe it's time to start.

 - Ricky