POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 : Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:11:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Feb 2008 14:05:00
Message: <web.47b4901adcec6a9f66f20de80@news.povray.org>
> That might be true a lot of the time, but I have several scenes that I can't
> render completely correctly with radiosity. No matter what I do with the
> parameters (and they are mostly speed-juggling parameters, remember), there
> simply aren't enough samples gathered to completely eliminate artifacts,
> especially at high resolutions.

I wish povray dropped the old radiosity engine in favor of the photon mapping
industry standard for GI, not just caustics.  Photon mapping seems to solve
many problems that radiosity can't, including more sharp shadow projections,
subsurface scattering etc.

> I have a question concerning this new approach however. Could the number of rays
> be limited for particular objects?

like in "tweaking a scene by hand to get faster renderings"?