POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 : Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:09:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 14 Feb 2008 07:45:00
Message: <web.47b436b0dcec6a9f731f01d10@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] nospamgmailcom> wrote:
> In povray, neither radiosity nor photon mapping really require all that
> amount of parameters to be tweaked, because there's not that much and
> the defaults are sensible enough.  More likely you'll just need
> experience and knowledge to get right the 5 or 6 parameters that really
> need tweaking...

That might be true a lot of the time, but I have several scenes that I can't
render completely correctly with radiosity. No matter what I do with the
parameters (and they are mostly speed-juggling parameters, remember), there
simply aren't enough samples gathered to completely eliminate artifacts,
especially at high resolutions.

I have a question concerning this new approach however. Could the number of rays
be limited for particular objects? Many parts of the scene may reach acceptable
quality long before others, so continuing sample gathering only for particular
scene elements would surely speed up the process. This might be done
automatically, or explicitly set in the SDL.

Possible? Difficult? Impossible? Laughable?

answers on a postcard, please!