POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dragon : Re: Dragon Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dragon
From: triple r
Date: 12 Feb 2008 17:15:00
Message: <web.47b21a1f29901e0ae42298f0@news.povray.org>
stbenge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> render looks like fine glass or opal. To remove the 1+ ior from the
> equation would be to reduce the quality of this fine render.

Whether or not that particular image is interesting or not, the original version
I referenced also has the appearance of porcelain without any artifacts (if you
can call them that).  It certainly doesn't just use scattering media, even if
the algorithm is some subset of media effects -- but then I could be dead
wrong.

> I disagree. The ior looks much more realistic! And the long render time
> involved? You got through this render, didn't you? ;)

> Your image is now on my desktop :)

What a compliment!  The original, no doubt, as any purist wouldn't stand for
Gimping.  Not that I disagree, it's just that not all purists have the time to
rewrite Gimp in POV-Ray just so they don't have to confess there was cheating
involved.  Sigh.

 - Ricky