POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dragon : Re: Dragon Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dragon
From: triple r
Date: 12 Feb 2008 01:05:00
Message: <web.47b1362529901e0ae42298f0@news.povray.org>
stbenge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> triple_r wrote:
> > Some people in the office are doing scientific ray-tracing, and I think they
> > happened upon POV-Ray in the process.  So everyone has Gilles Tran's bottle
> > scene on their desktop.  Got me in the mood, so now I'm digging up some old
> > projects.  This one's just a shameless render-dump.  On top of that, it's not
> > even original.  In fact, far from it:
> >
> > http://www.pbrt.org/gallery/01F12.jpg
> >
> > Not that I was trying to replicate it, but was never able to get the combination
> > of parameters just right, so here's pretty much where it ended.  Rendering time
> > wasn't more than a few hours, as I recall.  Should probably ditch the ior.
> >
> >  - Ricky
>
> No, no, don't ditch the ior! This is a beautiful image, regardless of
> the circumstances surrounding it. That material is almost opalescent...
>

> Sam

Not the SSS, but the ior.  Without it you get something like this:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3Cweb.4729e37fb6546248731f01d10%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.472
9e37fb6546248731f01d10%40news.povray.org%3E

Where the edges may show straight through.  With it, you might get total
internal reflection and some odd artifacts that go with it.  No-win.

 - Ricky