POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : DKBTrace images - pacman.jpg : Re: DKBTrace images - pacman.jpg Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DKBTrace images - pacman.jpg
From: leTigreBleu
Date: 11 Feb 2008 14:40:01
Message: <web.47b0a365bf0abe15a5e507bf0@news.povray.org>
Hello David, hello to povray users,

Just to say that I also started ray tracing with DKB. It was... a long time ago,
on a 80286 PC. Most of the pictures I had in those days were smaller than 32x20
pixels, to 'speed up' the rendering process. The final render was BIG: 160x100
(and VERY long). I also remember it took a long time to reduce the color depth
from 24 bits to 8 bits. I have used many softwares for this color reduction
step, and later I have discovered piclab (from the stone soup group, known for
their fractint software, if my memory serves me well).

David, I am glad to write this small message. DKB started it all: I have been
ray-tracing since the days of DKB.

I am older now, I seldom use povray, but I still look at the extraordinary
pictures on this newsgroup. And, from time to time, I go back to the keyboard
and write a few lines of code (after the pencil and paper step, as I used to do
when number crunching power was expensive).

Have a nice day,

leTigreBleu