POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Full Chess Set : Re: Full Chess Set Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Full Chess Set
From: binarycortex
Date: 11 Feb 2008 13:20:00
Message: <web.47b090df55deb0fdaad8b8870@news.povray.org>
"alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> "binarycortex" <bin### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > This chess set took me a while to create. The hardest part was the knight, and
> > later on i found that i was doing the bases in a dumb way, they were hollow. So
> > after some updates i'm ready to know what you think. Here is a glass version set
> > up as a kind of fire and ice sort of theme. It's pretty close up so you cant see
> > all the pieces but you get the idea.
> >
> > Ian
>
> I idea of creating sush intricate shapes is interesting. I'd like to see 6 main
> pieces in a row in wood to better see the shapes. And of course the methods you
> discovered "doing the bases in a dumb way, they were hollow" would be very
> enlightening to those of us wanting to learn.
>

> aQ

For the bases I was using a lathe object with the cubic_spline method, but I
noticed the they were completely hollow, so I tried a sor and it was then solid
but not perfect. The points translated to the sor almost perfectly, so only a
few needed tweaking. The knight is by far the most complicated, the head is
completely CSG based using many boxes to "cut" the shape out. For instance the
ears on the top were done with 3 of the same box the first straight up || the
second to the left \\ and the third to the right //. They were a copy of the
same box but it worked, however I had to add a 4th box between the ear tips to
get some small pieces the tilting of the boxes missed. The bishop is still a
lathe object, and I plan to convert it to a sor next, but it was made by
extending the lathe points and placing a small sphere on the top, then a box
cut the notch out of the top. Also here is the requested image.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'chess_pieces.jpg' (50 KB)

Preview of image 'chess_pieces.jpg'