POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : DKBTrace images - pacman.jpg : Re: DKBTrace images - pacman.jpg Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DKBTrace images - pacman.jpg
From: jute
Date: 11 Feb 2008 11:30:00
Message: <web.47b077b7bf0abe15f43b014e0@news.povray.org>
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> This was another impressive image for us back then, though in hindsight,
> it looks pretty straightforward.

Impressive, yes .... I don't think I'm exaggerating much when I say that your
ray-tracer and this image are responsible for ~75% of how my life has so far
turned out (don't worry, I'm doing fine by my own standards :))

DKBTrace taught me 3D, compiling, and also provided a way to get
involved in mathematics even without my noticing.  I think I was 15yrs or so.
And this image was just *wow*.

> * Written by Ville Saari

His planet.dat is still one of my favorite planetary renderings, and
when that Enterprise model came out for POV .... no words.

> * Copyright (c) 1991 Ferry Island Pixelboys

Incidentally, these guys used to run a private UUCP-network (FIPnet) that
they later connected to the Internet (polling with modem; this was 1992
or so).  Me & and friends up here in northern Finland were doing the
same (NullNet), and we ended up joining the forces to get access to
USENet (not sure if comp.graphics.raytracing existed, or if i had to participate
in the vote for getting it up :)).  A year or two later, the WWW and the
mass-adaptation of Internet changed that a lot ...

--
jussi