POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 : Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:11:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1
From: nemesis
Date: 3 Feb 2008 16:45:01
Message: <web.47a63501dcec6a9fce60c5620@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Anyway, isn't this essentially radiosity w/o the pretrace, and unlimited
> count?

well, whatever what he is doing, I hope we don't disencourage him.  Keep going
that we eventually may all be thankful for your effort.

The technique shows promise, if not for things other than the much better
handling of anti-aliasing against very bright surfaces (see the windows against
the white ambient sky or the metal surfaces) and also for not having to lose
nights after nights tweaking radiosity settings that never quite get right --
either are too patchy or too smooth to show correct shadows...

So far, I've not been able to do with radiosity what he's done with path
tracing.  Not to mention the stinking AA clipping problems... after several
hours testing and retesting, I'd surely feel glad to drop all the tweaking
altogether.  Leaving the assembly behind in favor of a compiler... ;)