POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : radiosity and bunnies : Re: radiosity and bunnies Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity and bunnies
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Jan 2008 13:30:00
Message: <web.478ba966fcfdbc70f48316a30@news.povray.org>
stbenge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I usually get such artifacts when using reflection/refraction in my
> radiosity scene.

there are none here, just simple ambient 0 diffuse something lambertian
surfaces.  Radiosity count was 80*4*2, error_bound .6/2 and nearest_count 12.
Next time, I'll try error_bound .6/3 and perhaps count 80*5*2...

> Hmm, is the bunny mesh unaltered? If so, you can play with the
> 'decimate' modifier in Blender to reduce the number of triangles in the
> mesh.

thanks!  That's a great tip!  The range scans are very high-resolution and I
guess trying to calculate diffuse interreflection between all those faces
really killed the radiosity.  It slowed to a crawl everytime it hit one of the
bunnies...

> It's a nice scene, at any rate.

thanks!  It's just a study.  But all the lighting and the rabbit looking
directly at it makes it feel like the poor fellow is being abducted by
aliens... ;)

> You're a patient guy (but not as patient
> as the ones who wait >day for a render! [I'm not one of them...]).

neither am I.  I'll try to get as many shortcuts and optimizations as possible.

I put it to render and proceeded to watch some Seinfeld episodes on DVD...