POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Making Cookies : Re: Making Cookies Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:10:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Cookies
From: Blue Herring
Date: 14 Jan 2008 08:25:02
Message: <web.478b62974865a169ce5ce3790@news.povray.org>
"sooperFoX" <bon### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Well, it certainly is a nice texture - in fact, I like all the textures you have
> used. Especially the egg at the top-left of the image - I think you got that one
> just right!
>
> Some people mentioned problems with the wood texture. I believe the texture is
> fine, but this image gives me the distinct impression that you have turned on
> radiosity at the last minute - without setting the ambient component of the
> texures' finish to 0.
>
> That would also explain why the grout looks a bit red close to the edges of the
> tiles - it looks like they are actually emitting a small amount of light.
>
> If you switch between using radiosity and not using it, declare a variable at
> the top of your scene (e.g. #declare use_rad = 1;) and then inside each of your
> textures turn off the ambient if you are using radiosity:
> finish {
>   #if (use_rad) ambient 0 #else ambient 0.3 /* whatever it was */ #end
> }
>
> You can even turn it off by default, with:
> #if (use_rad)
> #default { finish { ambient 0 } }
> #end
>
> ....but note that if you do specify an ambient value in a texture it will
> override the default.

Thanks, and thanks for the advice.  I actually do have radiosity setup in the
scene file in a similar manner, though its not being used for this render.
With radiosity it doesn't look much different actually, but I preferred it off
in this case.  The tile issue is probably due to that color thinning effect I
was trying for.