POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Baby Toys : Re: Baby Toys Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baby Toys
From: nemesis
Date: 4 Jan 2008 10:35:00
Message: <web.477e513d7e3e9c5c773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
"Blue Herring" <bhe### [at] tinfoilcatcom> wrote:
> I like what can be done with radiosity, but most of my experience
> with it has been about as enjoyable painting a house with my eyelashes.

but if it's old experience, remember the hardware back then wasn't up to the
task...

> > I wish there could be a way to do straightforward CSG with primitive shapes and
> > specify some glueing threshold...
>
> I noticed that IsoCSG looks to be able to blob any shape together.  I haven't
> really tried it out yet, but it looks quite interesting.

yes, Christoph Hormann has lots of goodies in his site.  But I wish it was
syntax rather than kinda clumsy macro calls.  Or wouldn't it be nice to specify
isosurfaces with primitive object syntax too rather than just with functions?

it should be so much easier to write:
isosurface {
  union {
    cylinder { -y,y .2 bend_with spline_foo }
    cylinder { -x,x .2 }
    glue_threshold .1
  }
}

rather than the cryptic function equations or macro calls...