POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Solvable because it's solvable... : Solvable because it's solvable... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Solvable because it's solvable...
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 3 Jan 2008 09:55:00
Message: <web.477cf6abf473161be2b2e7080@news.povray.org>
I've taken the liberty of posting this problem (I dare not call it a puzzle lest
I face the wrath of the Puzzle Definition Police) out of "Off-Topic" because
POV-Ray was used to produce the illustration.  The problem itself is presented
in the image. If anyone wants to refesh his or he memory with respect to basic
geometry formulas, it's OK to look here:

http://www.math10.com/en/geometry/volume.html

I would not consider this "cheating" as this is not intended as a memory quiz.

The solution to the problem as posed is here:
LOOK HERE ONLY IF YOU WISH TO SEE THE SOLUTION:
http://a833.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/116/l_c46789151c59aa7c2d8fa08b9022ecc0.jpg

If anyone wants to see the solution using calculus referred to in the problem,
it can be seen here: (a handy site that I have no affiliation with)

http://www.ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/106/areavolume/spherecore.htm

Happy Solving,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message