POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Baby Toys : Baby Toys Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Baby Toys
From: Blue Herring
Date: 2 Jan 2008 11:00:01
Message: <web.477bb3e0cbfc471ab05f96f70@news.povray.org>
Hello,
  I used to use 3.0 quite a bit, but I hadn't done much POV-Ray for a long time
until a bit less than two years ago.  I wanted to re-familiarize myself with
POV-Ray.  At the time my daughter was a few months old and consequently there
were a profusion of new baby toys around.  I figured they were good models to
practice and get reacquainted with POV-Ray and SD; simple colors, geometric
shapes, not too complex.
  Well, while all this is true, there turned out to be some interesting
challenges as well.  Few surfaces are flat, there are few regular angles, and
EVERYTHING has rounded edges.  For example the basic shapes, while seemingly
simple extrusions, were actually slightly larger in radius on the bottom than
the top.
  Anyhow, this is a simple composition I made a while ago.  These are all real
toys, and are fairly close representations.  While harder than I expected, I
still think baby toys are fun things to model, and definitely helped me brush
up.

PS In the interests of full disclosure, the extruded shapes are actually meshes
made in Wings3D.  However all my attempts to make them in SDL were quite
instructive.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'baby_toys_sm.png' (693 KB)