POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shiny shiny shiny : Re: shiny shiny shiny Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shiny shiny shiny
From: alphaQuad
Date: 12 Dec 2007 18:45:00
Message: <web.476071481bb4a81efea940f60@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Your area_light array is to sparse, giving you those grainy penumbraes.
> The optimum adaptive arrays are: 5*5, 9*9, 17*17, 33*33, 65*65,... This is due
> in the maner that the adaptive process works. The formulae for the optimum array
> size is: 2^n +1 where "n" is at least 1 more than the adaptive value.
> As the surface that receive the shadow is close to the object, you can probably
> use adaptive 0 without problem.
> With adaptive 0, I regularly use arrays of 17*17 or 33*33 with render times only
> slightly longer than with point lights.

Must say, thank you Alain. That explains a great deal and a picture serves
little purpose here.

Real glad that I got keyword lookup working in my compilation. It is imperative
that all reserved words are well understood before proceeding. I should take
month off to read manuals but unlikely that I will. Even if I did I doubt I
would learn this. I read area lights but don't recall such info on optimum
adaptive arrays. Seems to me adaptive 0 would be the fastest possible.

But I am impressed with the effect the HDR light emission. And slightly more
impressed with your knowledge.

Thank you so very much,
aQ