POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shiny shiny shiny : Re: shiny shiny shiny Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shiny shiny shiny
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 10 Dec 2007 10:45:00
Message: <web.475d5dbb1bb4a81e731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Interested in the soft shadows, I attempt duplication.
> I believe this was not Bill's method for the reflection in the apparent
> chrome.

I didn't use any light sources, only an HDR image-map on the inside of a sphere,
and radiosity. You need MegaPOV or POV-Ray3.7 to do this. See here:

http://megapov.inetart.net/manual-1.2/tutorials_hdri.html#hdri_tutorial

I used the HDR probes on the link supplied in that tutorial.

> I think Bill's entire scene would be most educational.

I'll post it tomorrow (I don't have it on this machine...)

> Floor ambient 0.1, real low;
> for the theory that it would
> allow visibility of the effect of area lighting

Ambient should usually be set to 0 really, otherwise everything looks a little
washed out. If you use radiosity, everything that has ambient > 1 will emit
light like a light source.

Bill