POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shiny shiny shiny : Re: shiny shiny shiny Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shiny shiny shiny
From: sooperFoX
Date: 9 Dec 2007 04:50:00
Message: <web.475bb9951bb4a81e943b35b60@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>
> > I don't know very much about HDR at all, so this might be a very naive question:
> > Is it possible to apply a HDR image to the inside of a large, hollow sphere in
> > POV, then use that (with ambient 1) to generate the photons (and reflections in
> > the glass)?
>
> OOPS--sorry. That was a real faux-pas. I was thinking of radiosity.

Hi Ken,

It certainly is possible, that is what I did for the image I posted. Assuming
your HDR image is in latitude-longitude arrangement, you can use spherical
mapping:

sphere { 0, 10000
pigment{image_map {hdr "Map.hdr" interpolate 2 map_type 1} }
finish { diffuse 0 ambient 1 }
hollow on
}

....or something to that effect. Note that you will require either POV-Ray 3.7 or
MegaPOV, ML-Pov, etc. to use HDR format images.

In can you are wondering, an example of latitude-longitude arrangment is the
same as you would see on a rectangular map of the earth. You then 'wrap' it
around the sphere.

If your HDR image is in 'light probe' or 'mirrored ball' arrangement you would
need to use a program such as HDR Shop to apply a panoramic transformation into
latitude-longitude arrangement to use it with spherical mapping. I believe
MegaPOV has a new map_type 7 you could use to allow 'light probe' arrangements.

Anyway... you can then turn on radiosity in the usual manner and your scene will
be lit by the colour values from the image file.

sooperFoX