POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : initial splash : Re: initial splash Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: initial splash
From: alphaQuad
Date: 4 Dec 2007 11:45:00
Message: <web.475582d2f4b3a06c619234250@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> alphaQuad wrote:
> > checking for approvals/rejections/suggestions/requirements from the group
> > for initial splash.
>
> Who is your audience?

I have no desire for an audience.

> This image may appeal to the pimply-faced youth

that was real, without being descriptive, nice of you to add that.

> crowd, but fails to give any impression to the quality of POV-Ray as a
> renderer. Quite honestly the colors appear washed out, and the image
> looks as if it was tossed together hastily, by simply adding a geometric

hastily, yes; And a requirement of the compilation and with respect to
contributors. You understand this concept of respect?
But, as a competitive icon, never!

>   figure, and a winged poser model over a body of generic
> silvery-looking water. And why is the image dithered? Are there still
> systems that only support 256 color images?

It is 8-bit because that is what was found as a splash.

> A splash screen should be bright and interesting, give the user a good
> first impression. This would only serve to drive me away

feel free.

> and wonder what
> happened to the "good old days" of POV-Ray.

cling to that past. it is the 7th and last ego payoff.

> I sincerely hope this is a joke, and if so .... I don't get it. What did
> I miss?

I do see a joke.

aQ