POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB] : Re: Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB] Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB]
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 4 Dec 2007 07:20:00
Message: <web.475545c62440ca8d731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson <org### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> stbenge wrote:
> > I'm a big fan of sci-fi myself. My favorite story is the Rama saga.
> > Classic Clarke.
> > Sam
>
> I have mixed feelings about the Rama series.

Me too. The first is definitely a classic but the others, as with Frank
Herbert's Dune series, proved increasingly uninteresting to me. I don't think
he originally intended ever to write a sequel (as with Herbert).

Interestingly, the descriptions in the first novel were used in some workshops I
attended whilst studying university physics, to get us thinking in rotating
reference frames about centrifugal gravity and the like.

> OTOH, I think my all-time favorite SF book is "Code of the Lifemaker" by
> James P Hogan.

I bought that randomly some years ago without knowing anything about the
author... very interesting, and a good yarn to boot.