POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : win98se mingw povray : Re: win98se mingw povray Server Time
28 Sep 2024 12:45:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: win98se mingw povray
From: alphaQuad
Date: 2 Dec 2007 20:40:00
Message: <web.47535d45d201812ebc0d98300@news.povray.org>
this was a newsgroup post not a private email.
the "gods" have found time to speak.
for the sake of completeness it must be posted here.

begin:
> >-lanything does not belong in LDFLAGS.  It should go in LIBS.  This
> >matters for ordering.
> >
> >Brian
>
> ya but LDFLAGS=-lcomctl32
> got the GUI up and runinng!
>
> what should I be reading now regarding "It should go in LIBS"?

Brian is 100% correct.  Autotooled makefiles pass two macros (in
particular) to ld; one is LDFLAGS, the other is LIBS.  Technically,
LDFLAGS should be reserved for library search paths, i.e. the likes of
LDFLAGS='-L /path/to/libs ...', while the libs themselves should be
passed through LIBS='-lsomelib ...'.  LDFLAGS are passed early in the
link argument list; LIBS come last, where the libraries must be listed.
That you were successful using LDFLAGS=-anything may be fortuitous, but
LIBS=-lsomething is the correct way, and is more robust.

Regards,
Keith.
:end

as I see it pov 3.7 source can have a makefile.gcc with working gui linker
once sound and help sdk issues are solved (and 95 dist-msg edits).