POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : win98se mingw povray : win98se mingw povray Server Time
6 May 2024 00:11:55 EDT (-0400)
  win98se mingw povray
From: alphaQuad
Date: 30 Nov 2007 00:20:01
Message: <web.474f98d9432ad5317df386ca0@news.povray.org>
The normal order to extract (to: drive:\mingw) the files is:
(And order is apparently relevant)

mingw-runtime-3.13.tar.gz (3.12 working here)
w32api-3.7.tar.gz
binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1.tar.gz
gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-1.tar.gz
gcc-g++-3.4.5-20060117-1.tar.gz
mingw32-make-3.81-2.tar.gz

version 3.7:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/w32api-3.7.tar.gz?use_mirror=superb-east

makefile.gcc needs slash correction

http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/Makefile.gcc

pov.bat for example

f:\povwin36>pov.bat

path C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
path %PATH%;f:\mingw\bin;f:\mingw\ming32\bin

mingw32-make -f windows\makefiles\makefile.gcc USE_GUI=0 BUILD=debug clean
mingw32-make -f windows\makefiles\makefile.gcc USE_GUI=0 BUILD=debug

There are errors in povmsend.cpp need fixing

void Send_InitInfo()
int Send_RenderDone(bool)

w32api-3.8 errors out building povray (for Tim, my benefactor) because of the
boolean issue in JPEG Library. (assuming it might do the same here)
(never tried 3.9, once everything was finally installed correctly)

never understood how Nic used make.exe, gave up and started over.

I quit screwing with knowing the comiler version number for config.h
#define COMPILER_MAJOR_VER __MINGW32_MINOR_VERSION
#define COMPILER_MINOR_VER __MINGW32_MINOR_VERSION

povray.exe = 6,512,775 (with debug code)

>>When compiling using MinGW GCC it is reccommended to have the Compiler
>>and the source code on the same drive letter.
> Really? I have never heard that. What difference can the location of the
> source possibly make?

when a source includes a system header sometimes it can not find the header.
Its related to the fact that MinGW looks in \MinGW\Include by default.

htmlhlp.h is missing, for gui:
..lib comes in mingw

htmlhelp.h (added to mingw\include)
http://owlnext.sourceforge.net/old/download.html
see add_fil.zip

GUI:
windows/pvengine.cpp:7985: error: `HH_PRETRANSLATEMESSAGE' was not declared
in this scope
windows/pvengine.cpp:8007: error: `HH_UNINITIALIZE' was not declared in
this scope
MINGW3~4.EXE: *** [gcc_gui_debug/pvengine_pvengine.o] Error 1

precisely tons of warnings, 2 errors

this is far as I got with 4 days work