POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Slime's povcomp tree on Hospital magazine : Re: Slime's povcomp tree on Hospital magazine Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slime's povcomp tree on Hospital magazine
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 19 Nov 2007 15:55:00
Message: <web.4741f745220aa032f6a1b3c30@news.povray.org>
"alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> I am no lawyer but doesn't a release without use stipulation constitute a public
> domain item?

That's a major misconception, especially since the Internet has made it so easy
to share files and indulge in wishful thinking on copyright law.  Either the
copyright must expire (Slime's death + 70 years), or Slime must *explicitly*
place the work into the public domain.

In order to use the image legally without Slime's permission, the hospital must
claim Fair Use.  They would need to consult a lawyer if Slime doesn't agree.

Copyright FAQ:
   http://faqs.org/faqs/law/copyright/faq/

Copyright myths, pertaining specifically to Slime's country, but probably
similar internationally:
   http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html