POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : selective component loading..... : Re: selective component loading..... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: selective component loading.....
From: Andycadd
Date: 14 Nov 2007 01:35:00
Message: <web.473a95fa7dcd5e2ffedbe4b90@news.povray.org>
"Andycadd" <And### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote:

> > > BUT....    step 1.  Is there a partial load possible for ".inc" files?
> > > a file access keyword to let me search for specific textures/materials from
> > > within the parser, rather than loading the entire ".inc" file.
> >
> > No. But you can do:
> > #if (something)
> > #include "file.inc"
> > #end
> >
> > Conditional including is possible. Partial including is not.
>
> Yes Yes is there a glossary/appendix for the syntax somewhere?
>
> thank you

Selective texture loading is possible...

1. Generate a list of the materials used (manually)
2. declare those materials/textures as simple low res textures
3. load the big long ".inc" file containg large numbers of textures, most of
which you wont load.
4. each material definition is wrapped in a conditional
#if   #then  using the "MATERIALNAME" so that only previously defined materials
are loaded / REdeclared.  all the other material names in the include file will
not be read in because the ifthen statement filtered them out.
5. you have just selectively loaded a material definition libraryfile.
6. definition file can contain large numbers of bitmaps or other
complex files.

PS  im sure i've seen this system somewhere anyone