POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another feather : Re: Another feather Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another feather
From: Charles C
Date: 11 Nov 2007 19:20:00
Message: <web.47379b1b3f40db522869ae640@news.povray.org>
"mmuylle" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > glad it was posted
> >
> > Hehe. Sure thing.
>
> Sorry for the 2nd question
> but how did you shape the father and the fluff
> can you reveal a bit of the code as well?
> thanks again
> marc

Marc,
The shape of the feather is based on a couple of splines...  BTW, thanks for the
reminder... I'm meaning to get back to working on it. I made some progress the
next day making the hollow raches/calamus and improving the overall shape a
little but time have been busy...  The next step for me is going to be modeling
the "interlocking barbules" as pictured here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FeatherLocking.png

If there are any better depictions of just exactly what those look like (how
wide things are etc), I'd like to know.

There's a starting and end point for attach-points for the barbs along the
rachis, and there's a macro which creates unique splines up and down the rachis
as the other ends of the barbs go around the profile spline.  For a certain
range on the rachis the end point and tangent control points of the barb
(cubic) splines are modified by random vectors, increasing towards the calamus.

I'm not sure that was very clear but I'll try to clean it up a little and post
some code a little later on. Right now I'm not at home.

Charles