POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Skies (3 of n) : Re: Skies (3 of n) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skies (3 of n)
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 8 Nov 2007 05:40:01
Message: <web.4732e7267579baf9e8ba46670@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> I was thinking about these:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.44f8fbd1d1fee11a506816740@news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.4446b51a716c65e7b3cf832f0@news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.4447da16ade663f78069ddd30%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop
=250513&toff=100

> Thomas

Oohh. I missed this discussion! The results are VERY good!

Having a look at the source code, I confirm that I have a similar approach, but
maybe a little more advanced and closer to nature's laws. Some colors were
obtained by applying a non very natural values to the scattering media of the
atmosphere, like "scattering{1 rgb .01*<1,.8, .6> extinction 0}".

In RL, atmosphere's colors (blue at daytime, yellow/orange/red-ish at sunset)
are due to Rayleigh scattering (type 4), plus eventually some other media
(scattering/absorption of specific colors) for non-pure air particles or
pollution. In addition, as explained in the documentation, extinction is always
1. Clouds are type 2 (or 3 in some cases) scattering media. They usually have no
coloring behaviour themselves and are only white-scattering. Clouds are tinted
by the scattered light coming from the sun and neighbourhood. That's what I try
to reproduce.

In order to make sure of the realisticness of some of my skyies, I try the same
scene with different elevations of the sun, only changing the sun's power to
compensate illumination decrease. I'll render one with only the atmosphere at
different elevations to illustrate.

    Bruno