POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : sss tests : Re: sss tests Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sss tests
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 1 Nov 2007 09:35:00
Message: <web.4729e37fb6546248731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <rre### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Some ior really helps to disguise the internal structure.  It doesn't get rid of
> the internal structure, of course, but it does make it less apparent.  Makes it
> possible to use a little more translucency.  Physically accurate, too.

Right, I tried the ior but it doesn't really get rid of the internal structure,
just moves it around and slows the render down. But I've found that #declaring
the texture and interior as a material and then applying it separately to all
the component objects (using union instead of merge) works perfectly. Then it's
just fine-tuning for the translucency, by modifying the media density and
surface transparency.

The only problem with this approach is that it completely clobbers the render
time for non-trivial unions. I shall mainly be relying on meshes and lathes and
whatnot for this approach I think... :)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sss.jpg' (27 KB)