POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Photon speckles : Re: Photon speckles Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon speckles
From: sooperFoX
Date: 26 Oct 2007 10:50:00
Message: <web.4721fdbe6a7782f5943b35b60@news.povray.org>
"sooperFoX" wrote:
> Also I forgot to add that doing this increased the render time significantly
> (still, only about 16 minutes at 960x600, including photon building), but I
> kept the max_trace_level at 255, so you might get a faster render by
> lowering this. You will have to experiment if it will start to introduce
> black areas again.

I should have read the render report. POV-Ray only used 3/255 max level. I
guess you could leave it at the default, or set it to 10 if you wanted to
be extra safe if you plan to add other transparent objects.

It occurred to me later that in this particular case, because the cone is
sitting with its base on the plane and the top is a point, that instead of
translating the cone downwards you could specify the cone to be open. That
would actually remove the base surface of the cone, so it would now be
impossible to have the coincident surface problem that was causing the
speckles.

cone
{
  <0,0,0>, 5.5, <0,11,0>, 0 open  /* added open keyword */
  translate <-8, -1, 17>
  texture
  {
  ... rest of code unchanged
  }
}

I have tested this and it works. The rendered image appears identical, but
you now don't have to nudge the cone downwards.

Hope this helps.

-- sooperFoX