POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Photon speckles : Re: Photon speckles Server Time
8 Sep 2024 17:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon speckles
From: sooperFoX
Date: 26 Oct 2007 09:30:01
Message: <web.4721eb216a7782f5943b35b60@news.povray.org>
See my responses below.

"sooperFoX" wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I am at work so I can't test it right now, but just reading through that
> file it looks like you do have coincident surfaces going on with the base
> of the cone and the plane. The cone has its base at <0, 0, 0> which is then
> translated to <-8, -1, 17>, while the plane is defined at y = -1.

I can confirm this now. I get the same result as you when rendering your
scene unmodified.

> Either move the cone up a small amount:
> cone
> {
>   <0,0,0>, 5.5, <0,11,0>, 0
>   translate <-8, -1, 17>
>   translate 0.01*y /* add this line to move the cone up from the plane */
>   texture {
>   }
> }

Tried this. See first attached image. No speckles now, but a large black
area appears in the lower region of the cone.

I assumed this had something to do with max_trace_level, so I increased it
to 255 (outside the photons block). This didn't really remove the black
area but I got some more internal reflections happening now. See second
image.

So then I tried something I remember reading when I was messing around with
water inside a drinking glass - putting the surfaces inside each other
rather than separate. So, I moved the cone *down* slightly (translate
-0.01*y) instead of up, and bingo. See the third image. I think this is
what you're after, no?

-- sooperFoX

EDIT: second and third images will have to go in subsequent posts, because I
can't seem to attach more than one at a time through the web interface.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cone-photons-trans.jpg' (26 KB)

Preview of image 'cone-photons-trans.jpg'
cone-photons-trans.jpg