POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Random Comic Sci-Fi Building Generator : Re: Random Comic Sci-Fi Building Generator Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random Comic Sci-Fi Building Generator
From: Kirk Andrews
Date: 20 Oct 2007 08:45:01
Message: <web.4719f7cac27b9d47e1bc26d0@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> Kirk Andrews wrote:
> > since you asked, it's just a simple macro with a lathe object.  The
> > points on the spline are randomized.  The real trick is the texture--the
> > macro picks one of 5 images to use for a texture_map, which creates the
> > various patterns of windows.
>
> Overall, it looks very sci-fi to me, and I specially like the glass domes,
> but perhaps they are to whitish? I will do these more transparent but also
> more reflective.
>
> It's curious how I used a very very similar approach when I first tried this
> some years ago... :) In fact, when I've seen your image, for a moment I had
> a strange feeling of "deja vu".
>
> Now, I'm not very imaginative for this kind of scenes, but I can pass to you
> the advice given to me by a real architect: not even in the future the
> cities will be that regular and homogeneous. That is, you need much more
> variety in the building shapes and heights... and that's why I abandoned my
> "sci-fi city" project: too much planning for a lazy like me. I'm attaching
> the final render before giving up, as perhaps it can give you some ideas...
>
> --
> Jaime

Nice render!

You're certainly right that it is still far too homogeneous, and that is the
challenge, of course (although it seems my artistic theme lately has been
"monotony").  The next step would be to start writing macros that make
different kinds of buildings (like squarish ones) and incorporating them
(perhaps someone else would like to contribute some macros to the object
compilation??).  Also, all of these buildings are about the same average
diameter.  One would need some buildings that were considerably larger than
others. After that would be layout.  Perhaps future cities are not arranged
on a grid?  Perhaps they are arranged in series of tangent circles of
various sizes?

For Yadgar:

Actually, these images do not use radiosity.  I'm just using a dim,
purplish, shadowless light opposite my primary light source.

I have posted one version of the macro in s-f, but I am still working on it
so I will probably post newer versions later.

-- Kirk

Latest render:

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: